About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Sunday March 18th 2018 - The camping season is almost here

In twelve days time it will be Easter, and providing nothing untoward happens to scupper my plans I'll be off on my first camping break of this year. I've booked a pitch for four nights at Felin Uchaf, the quiet little site near Corwen in North Wales, and only yesterday I ordered a new tent to replace my old one which suffered a horrendous and irreparable tear in the roof last summer. 

I may or may not be accompanied by my son who is still off work following the broken ankle he sustained last year, but whether he's with me or I'm on my own I'm really looking forward to this break after six months of not camping. The current weather is windy, bitterly cold and with the remains of last night's snow lingering on various grassy areas, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that in the next twelve days it does an about turn and becomes warmer and sunnier for Easter - I can live in hope I suppose!



7 comments:

  1. It's so cold here at the moment that I can hardly imagine camping but I'm hoping to take Lily on her first camping trip this year. Fingers crossed it's a mild Easter break for you. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind too much if the weather's cold as long as it's dry, as I do have heating in the tent. I camped in -5 degrees one winter a few years ago and I was lovely and snug inside the tent :) hope you get to take Lily on her first camping trip this year, if the weather's good I'm sure she'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed, and all that - not that it will make the slightest bit of difference! But if it is any consolation, earlier I looked at the forecast on the BBC weather app which goes to about the 27th/28th at present, and it did look a little better . . .

    Management returned from Kielder this afternoon, must get some of his photos off his phone - there was still Northumberland snow on the roof of the van when he got here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just had a look on WillyWeather (that name still makes me laugh!) for where I'm going but the forecast only goes up to five days ahead, however it does seem to be getting better so here's hoping. I hope M had a great time at Kielder, I look forward to seeing some pics on your blog :)

      Delete
  4. Eileen, I'm so sorry but I've just accidentally deleted your comment! I'd written a reply but then decided to delete it and write something else but I deleted yours by mistake - I do apologise :(

    I'm really looking forward to putting up my new tent and getting some photos of it inside and out. I don't know where I'll be getting to on my travels - weather permitting of course - but no doubt it'll be somewhere I've been before and want to revisit. I'm still on a quest for a blue sky photo of Chirk Castle gardens so that's a possibility. but wherever I end up there'll be lots of photos on here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have good travels this season Tigermouse, providing the weather is kind to us.
    Have fun.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After the weather we've had just recently Yvonne I'm sure it can only get better. I'm really looking forward to getting out and about again this year :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.