About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Saturday April 30th 2016 - The great British weather and cancelled plans

After eight days of blue skies and gloriously warm spring sunshine, meaning I was able to take Sophie and Poppie for some lovely long countryside walks every day, the great British weather did a complete about turn last Sunday and the last few days have been a complete mixed bag of everything you could think of. Grey skies, wind, rain, hail, sleet, snow, thunder and lightning, interspersed by a few very brief sunny moments, and compared to last week's temperatures it's been cold.

A few weeks ago my blogging friend Christine from http://a-fly-on-our-chicken-coop-wall.blogspot.com came up with a word to describe her weather in the USA at the time - 'unspring' - and that sums up this week's weather perfectly. The contrast in these two photos couldn't be greater - the first one was taken on Saturday a week ago while I was out with the dogs, the second taken early yesterday morning when I set out for work. Fortunately the snow soon disappeared but the rain came back and it was cold, wet and very unpleasant all day.

With this weekend being another bank holiday I'd previously booked to go back to Felin Uchaf where I stayed at Easter, in the hope that I could visit the places I didn't get to back then, but the weather forecast right through to early next week isn't good at all - more cloud, rain, hail and possible thunderstorms, with very little sunshine to be had.

The van is all packed and ready to go and under normal circumstances I would have been on the road by 8.30am today, but regrettably I took the decision yesterday to ring the camp site and cancel my booking. There's absolutely no point going if bad weather stops me from getting to the places I want to see, so this weekend I'm having a 'stay-cation' and keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will soon improve and I can get away for a two-night weekend in a couple of weeks instead - I live in hope!