About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Saturday March 31st 2018 - A rainy afternoon in Llangollen

It was still raining when I woke that morning so the first dog walk of the day was a quick one - Sophie and Poppie didn't want to go out in it any more than I did. The rain never let up all morning but by early afternoon I'd had enough of being marooned in the van so I decided to drive into Llangollen for a look round the shops. I've looked round Llangollen heaven knows how many times before and the shops never change but at least it was something to do and the rain eventually eased off so it stayed fine for a while.

After looking round the shops and photographing the swollen River Dee from the bridge I went down a side street I'd never been along before and discovered St. Collen's church; the door was open so I went in to have a look and discovered a lovely half-timbered ceiling and some beautifully colourful stained glass windows.



When I'd seen all I wanted to see in the town I made my way back to the van and headed back to the camp site. The scenery along the A5 between Llangollen and Corwen is really nice and looks beautiful when the sun is shining though it didn't look quite as nice on such a grey day; the views were still clear though and with sheep dotted about here and there I thought it worth making a couple of brief stops to get a few shots.


I'd not been back at the camp site for very long when the rain started again, lasting right through the evening and well into the night, so the last dog walk of the day was again a very short one. With nothing else to do but read I retreated to my bed early that night, keeping my fingers crossed that the rain would die out by the morning and I would finally get a decent 'going out' day.



8 comments:

  1. They are, aren't they? I particularly like the last one, the colours are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The river was very high. The church was a nice find, lovely windows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard many people say that it rains a lot in North Wales - it must have done recently, I've never seen so much water in that river before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what awful weather. Such a shame 😞

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was nothing, wait until you read Monday's post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely ceiling in that church, and I don't like the look of that river. Since living here we have learned to take swollen rivers very seriously :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't like the look of the river either but there were still people daft, adventurous, brave enough (delete to suit!) to be in there white water rafting. Rather them than me!! :(

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.