About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Monday September 11th 2017 - A day in the van

I woke that morning to a cloudy grey sky and more wind, and I'd just got back from the first dog walk when the fine drizzly rain started; there was no point going anywhere in that so I whiled away the time reading my book and watching a bit of tv. It was mid afternoon before the rain stopped, the clouds started to clear away and the sun came out but by that time it was too late to go anywhere proper so I just took Sophie and Poppie for a long walk through the heath to the next village and back. Coming back to the van I couldn't resist taking a couple of shots of the empty camping field just to show that I was the only one on there.


A while later I drove up to the local general store/post office/garden centre for a look round then on the way back called in at another caravan site to enquire about camping pitches; their current nightly fee just falls within my budget and also includes admission to the pool and the club on the site next door, so although it's a good few minutes walk to the beach it could be an alternative to my current site.

It was early evening before the wind finally dropped and I managed to put the tent up, knocking in the last peg just as the daylight faded, then with the bedrooms for storage and the loo, kitchen and larder units in place I retired to the van, only coming out again later on to take the dogs for their bed time walk. The sky was perfectly clear by then and I could see every star up there so I kept my fingers crossed that the late afternoon sunshine had been a sign of good days to come.



10 comments:

  1. How frustrating for you Tigermouse, hope the rest of your time away was better.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's something you'll find out as the week progresses Yvonne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you could have no trouble with the neighbours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very true Anabel :) There was a couple in one of the new statics further along the edge of the field but on the field itself there was only me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to have the whole camping field to yourself. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is - that's one of the advantages of going away when the kids have gone back to school :)

      Delete
  6. It looks a nice place to stay but if you can get more for less money then maybe have a rethink about returning to that site in future, weigh up the pros and cons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be doing a lot of site research in the next few months Eileen. Knowing California and it's neighbouring areas as well as I do I know there are loads of sites to choose from, but I don't know if I'd be happy staying at any of them when I love the current site so much (in spite of the wind!) - it's certainly something which needs a lot of consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now, when you show pictures like that I can see why you love returning to this site.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been going to that site for years and I really do love it. With the camping field being just above the beach it's so convenient for walking the dogs, and once the kids are back at school it's lovely and quiet.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.