About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Monday August 28th 2017 - Gwrych Castle, Talacre beach & Barkby beach

I woke later than usual to another gloriously sunny morning and my son already up and about, so with the dogs tethered in the shade behind the van I sorted out some breakfast first then took them for a walk up the lane. The gate about halfway up, which I've always previously known to be closed to stop vehicle access, was actually open and there was a notice on it saying that the castle was open from 9am to 4pm; thinking that my son might like to have a look round but knowing he wouldn't be able to manage the long walk up the lane and back I wondered if it would be possible to drive up so I went to see if there was anyone I could ask.

Set at the side of the lane and opposite the castle was a portacabin-type storage shed and a couple of the castle Trust's volunteers sitting at a table outside; when I explained the problem I got the slightly confusing answer that I could either pay £5 and park there all day without going in the castle or I could pay £5 to go in the castle and the parking was free. So whichever I did it would cost £5, which was fair enough as all the money goes towards the gradual renovation of the castle, so I went back to the camp site to get my son and drove back up to the castle - and that's when it got even more confusing.

The guy I'd previously spoken to told me to drive almost to the main castle gate, turn round and come back to park near the cabin, which I did and paid him £5, but then I was told that only allowed us to view the castle from along the lane and if we wanted to go in the grounds it would cost another £5. There was no point just looking at the castle from the outside - I could have left the van back at the site and walked past the place for free - so we paid the extra fiver. By this time two other couples had arrived so we were given a short talk on the history of the castle and a laminated map of the place then we were free to explore at leisure. 

It was nice to see that the restored formal garden was looking much better than last year, and with the addition of a few statues, a pond with a central obelisk and plenty of established planting it looked much less bare. As for the rest of the place I had to admit to being quite disappointed, as whichever level we went along we found the most interesting parts of the castle had been blocked off, which was a shame as I would have loved my son to see them. Then there were the peacocks - two of them in a cage behind a locked gate, which didn't make any sense at all. At least the views from the upper levels were good so that was something.



Back at ground level we returned the map and drove back down to the camp site where we each had a can of Coke and my son rested his foot for a while. The sky had clouded over somewhat while we had been up at the castle but by the time we were ready for setting out on the next part of our day the sun was blazing down again and it was quite hot. My mission was to finally get to Talacre beach and a pleasant drive along the coast road eventually took me to it. 

Parking in the free car park near the end of the lane I left my son to wander round the amusement place while I went to find the beach. The Wales Coast Path ran along an embankment at the end of the lane and a short distance along it steps led down to another large parking area; negotiating my way across there was tricky as there were muddy patches and puddles all over the place but I managed it without getting dirty wet feet and emerged through the dunes onto the beach. 

The Point of Ayr lighthouse was just along to my left and the sun shining on its weather beaten exterior gave it quite an attractive shabby chic look. Although it was completely surrounded by water the sea wasn't deep so if I hadn't had the dogs with me I could have waded out to it, however I was quite happy to take a few shots of it from the beach before making my way back to find my son. Just across the lane from the amusement place was a small walk-round discount store; I needed to get a new bed for Sophie and as that was the sort of place that might just sell that sort of thing I went over to have a look. I was in luck too, just inside the store were several racks containing various dog beds with the size I wanted costing just £5, so I drove away from Talcre beach with one little dog being the proud owner of a new bed. 


Working my way back towards Abergele my next stop was at Barkby beach. I'd never been there before, in fact I didn't even know of its existence until I saw a sign for it so I was interested to see what was there. The answer was not much - the long lane from the main road took me past a large holiday complex and straight into a small pay-and-display parking area overlooking the beach, and apart from the premises of Prestatyn Sailing Club there was nothing else there. It wasn't worth paying to park so my son stayed in the van while I walked a few yards along and snapped just a couple of shots then we headed back to the main road.



Just before we reached Abergele I dropped my son at the fairground and amusements on the main road then went to call at Eileen's with a brochure I'd forgotten to give her when we met up a couple of days before. It was nice to have another chat and as I was leaving she told me where to find the giraffe which was peering over someone's high hedge - she had photographed it for her own blog some time ago and it amused me so much that I wanted to get my own shot. I found it easily enough and with a couple of shots I went back to the fairground to collect my son.



Back at the tent I made a snack meal for the two of us and we spent the evening watching tv, then later on I took the dogs for their last bedtime walk of the weekend. It was dark by then but the moon gave me enough light to see where I was going and it was quite pleasant walking along the lane in the stillness of the late evening, then back at the tent I made a brew and the four of us retreated to our respective beds for our last night on site.



8 comments:

  1. The gardens at the castle have established well since last year. It's a shame that parts of the castle grounds are closed off but you did tell me it was for safety reasons. The Preservation trust have signed a lease to renovate part of the castle so I suppose the owners are liable if anyone gets injured outside of that area.I'm glad you found Talacre beach, the lighthouse is looking much more weathered since last time I went there, I like your shabby chic description :) Son-in-law and a friend drove there from Stoke the other day with eight dogs, it's a very popular beach! Sophie's new dog bed was a bargain for £5, well done on your find. I'll have to photograph giraffe again when he changes attire, I hope he doesn't put his Christmas hat on too soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guy who took our money only told us afterwards that it was closed off because it was dangerous, and that was only because I asked about it when I handed the map back. If I'd had the chance I would have waited till after the volunteers had departed and gone in via one of the upper paths right above it. Presumably it's only possible to see the other parts if you book a guided tour, though to be honest I can't imagine it's any more dangerous now than it was at the open day last August when people were walking round freely.At least I can show my son the photos I took then, plus the ones I got when I sneaked through the security fence a few years ago :)

      The dog bed I got for Sophie is really to keep as a spare, and the spare one is now replacing the one she used to make herself invisible under the cover - she's buried herself in that one so many times it was completely wrecked :)

      It will be interesting to see what the giraffe is wearing next, I hope you get another photo of him in his next outfit :)

      Delete
  2. Seeing people surrounded by water on the base of the lighthouse looks like a rescue about to be needed - have you been watching the series on RNLI rescues?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some of those programmes before Jayne but haven't watched the most recent ones. If you look at the 14th photo down on this page of Ruth's blog -

      https://coastalwalker.co.uk/2016/07/27/prestatyn-to-greenfield/

      and compare it to mine you can see that the water wasn't really all that deep. Maybe if I go there again I'll leave the dogs in the van for a short while and wade out there myself :)

      Delete
  3. Great pictures again. The castle and gardens look lovely, but their access arrangements seem a bit eccentric. And fancy keeping thecpeacocks in a cage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no doubt that the volunteers are doing an excellent job of restoring the place, which will obviously take a lot of time and money, and I have no objection to having to pay to get in but the arrangements do seem to be a bit erratic and knowing how big the place is I don't really feel it's value for money at the moment. As for the peacocks - in a way I can understand them being locked up as people are allowed to take dogs round, although they have to be on leads, but I wasn't happy to see them in a cage. All I can say is that my general opinion of the place based on this visit isn't one I can put on here :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm - I'll fill in the gaps!

      Delete
    2. If there was a way of contacting you direct I would explain fully but there's only so much I can write on here :(

      Delete

I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.