About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Sunday July 16th - Part 2 - Rhosneigr, Penrhos & Holyhead

Parking in Rhosneigr can be a bit of a nightmare in summer with any available spaces filling up quickly, but on the outskirts of the village, set back just off the main road from Aberffraw, was a small free car park big enough for a dozen or so cars. There was just one space available when I got there so I parked up and went for a wander, seeking out the stream running across the beach which Ruth had mentioned in her blog. I'd been to Rhosneigr three times in the last few years but never to the south end of the beach so this was something new to me.

Just round the corner from the car park was a sign pointing to a picnic area; it sounded like a good place to start so I followed the path and within a couple of minutes I'd found what I was looking for - the stream, overlooked by a strategically placed bench and crossed by a small bridge. It widened out where it hit the beach and took a sharp right turn before sweeping round in a curve to join the sea; I was well impressed with that end of the beach and wished I'd gone there years ago.



A tarmac slope led up from the beach onto a lane with very pleasant-looking houses and bungalows on each side; a distance along took me past another small beach then a couple of side streets took me onto the main beach which was a hive of activity with windsurfers, catamarans and boats out on the water. A couple of tractors were bringing boats in and half a dozen other tractors were parked in a line along the sand; with the exception of one they were all older models though they were very smartly painted in their correct colours.

With the afternoon getting on I decided not to go any further along the beach; I needed to go to the Stermat store at Valley, which was quite a distance from Rhosneigr, and I didn't want to risk it being closed when I got there. With one shot taken on the beach and another from the village square I made my way back to the van and headed off for the A55 which would get me to Valley in a fairly quick time.



The Stermat store was thankfully still open when I got there and after getting what I wanted - a small tin of black gloss paint and some cheap artist's paint brushes - I drove across the embankment to Penrhos coastal park to get a cheeseburger from Pete's burger bar. I was destined to be disappointed however as the burger van wasn't there - that was really unusual as other than Christmas it's always there. By that time I was ready for something to eat so with no chance of having one of Pete's delicious burgers I decided to try the Toll House Cafe near the entrance to the park. The menu items weren't exactly cheap but the scrambled egg on toast was reasonable so I ordered that and a coffee, and I have to say that it was actually very nice.

When I came out of the cafe the tide was still in and as I'm very rarely at the coastal park when it is I spent a few minutes wandering along taking a few snaps. Several benches were set by the path, some of them with memorial plaques and posies of flowers attached, and behind one of them was a lovely little miniature garden in a small clearing under a bush; it looked really sweet and was worth a photo. 



My next port of a call was a visit to my friends Louise and Derek, just a few minutes drive away on the outskirts of Holyhead, but there was no-one in when I got there and I had a sneaking suspicion they may have been away on holiday themselves. Turning out of their road I went left instead of right, just to see what was down there, and I ended up close to the fishing dock. With only one boat moored up and no activity it was a bit of a boring place but I did get a good shot of a seagull on the harbour wall.



There was a huge Stena Line ferry berthed over at the ferry port but from where I was I couldn't get a good shot of it so off I went in search of a good vantage point. I ended up on the edge of a large housing estate with a playing field and a vast expanse of well kept grassland stretching between the last row of houses and the sea. From the bottom of the field I could see the ferry clearly and got a great shot - if I'd been much closer I could have got on board. 



As I walked back across the field I noticed a stone archway set down in the bottom corner; with no buildings around it looked rather incongruous stuck there on its own so I went to take a look, and discovered something else I hadn't previously known about. An overgrown flight of steps led down through the arch to a rocky beach and over on the right, on what would probably be a small island during a very high tide, was a ruined stone building. It looked like it had been a square tower but when I climbed up to take a closer look I found it had a bit built out at the back; research since I got home has so far given me no clue as to what it could have been. By the time I got back to the van it was early evening and I'd been out long enough - time to be heading back to the camp site but I had one more brief stop to do first, at Penrhos beach. 


With just a couple of shots taken I headed for the A55 and took the fast route down to Llangefni, then less than quarter of an hour from there saw me back at the camp site. It had just gone 8pm by then so the rest of the evening was spent relaxing with my book, and after the long day we'd had all three of us slept well that night.



6 comments:

  1. A most relaxing set of photo's Tigermouth, looked a wonderful place to be.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly is that Yvonne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did pack a lot into that day. When we went to Rhosneigr recently, the little bridge over the stream is where we met a couple with a ferret and Annie took off after it :) In the town we found a biggish car park but it is not well signposted so we found it by chance, it's by the library. I agree it's a nightmare to park there. You took some lovely photos and it's good you got so close to the ferry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I presume Annie didn't catch the ferret?! I knew about the car park in the town but the last time I went there it was full and I had to spend a while looking for somewhere. I didn't want to do that this time so I was glad I saw the space in the small car park by the road. As it turned out, it was only round the corner from where I wanted to be so it worked out just right :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely again. The archway and old building are intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are, and I've still not found out anything about them. Curiouser and curiouser...

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.