About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Thursday September 15th 2016 - Southwold & Walberswick - Part 3

At the far end of the lower promenade I took the sandy path behind the last row of beach huts and cut across the dunes to the road which took me back to the harbour, and instead of taking the ferry back across the river I decided to walk all the way round. There was a cafe halfway along the harbourside and I was in need of a drink by then, so hitching the dogs to an outside table I went inside to order coffee and cake; I was just lucky too as the place was within minutes of closing.

At the top end of the harbour, and almost out of 'civilisation', was an attractive row of cottages set back from the riverside and with their own shingle driveway running in front; beyond those there was nothing but fields and marshes. The boat moorings ended by the bridge; there was no-one else around just then and as I crossed over I was struck by how quiet it was compared to further down river where the busy boat sheds were. With several photos taken as I walked along the Walberswick side of the river I finally got back to the van almost five hours after I left it, and after giving the dogs a drink I set off on my drive back to the camp site.

I couldn't finish my day though without stopping to take a few shots of St. Andrews Church on the road through the village. Built into the ruins of a much older chapel I've always found it quite a fascinating place and worth taking a few minutes to explore the grounds. By that time the sun had lost some of its afternoon brightness and was taking on an early evening glow; most of the church itself was in shadow but I still got several shots of the older ruins, and a final shot of the interior finished off the day nicely.

For some reason I seemed to get back to the camp site quicker than I'd got from there to Walberswick, and with the van parked back by the side of the tent the three of us settled in for the evening. It had been a lovely day and I'd got some good photos of some lovely views but after all that walking and wandering it was nice just to relax and do nothing until the last short dog walk before bedtime.


  1. Yes, you had packed a lot into your day. Lovely weather and photographs.

  2. The weather had been gorgeous right from the minute I left home, and really hot for September; I got a fab suntan just from wandering round. The riverside at Southwold is a great place for photos, I've had some good shots from there on previous occasions.

  3. I'm reading these posts 'backwards' so I see what you mean about the huge change in the weather - you went from summer to autumn overnight.

  4. You're reading faster than I can reply to your comments - you'll get to the garden in a minute! lol

    1. ha ha ha - Daisy to walk first, and then a trip to Sainsburys (and people think I live an exciting life, LOL!)

    2. That's more or less what I've done today, dog walk and Sainsbury's but the shopping trip wasn't mine, I was accompanying a friend who isn't in the best of health. To be honest I'd rather have my finger nails pulled out without anaesthetic, but she did buy me lunch afterwards :)


I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.