About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Tuesday - May 31st 2016 - "Underground, overground, wombling free..."

Another fabulously warm and sunny morning arrived but with it came the very reluctant task of packing everything up and going home. After the first dog walk along the beach and a leisurely breakfast I made a start, though with no real reason to rush I took my time about it, then just before I dismantled the tent I took a photo of where it was pitched to remind myself not to put it there again as the ground wasn't level.


Now, anyone in this country who is of a certain age may very well remember the Wombles - fictional furry creatures who lived on Wimbledon Common and recycled other peoples' rubbish into something useful - and it was when I took my own rubbish over to the bin compound that I became a Womble myself. Stacked upright between two of the bins were six large square foam mats, the type which fit together like jigsaw puzzle pieces, and other than a few dirty marks on the underside where they'd been on the grass they were all very clean and in perfect condition - far too good to be in the rubbish. So this little Womble carried them back to the van and stashed them with the rest of the camping gear, and they'll be 'recycled' for use in my own tent at a later date.

With everything finally packed away I took the dogs for a last walk round the site then set off on the drive home. I wouldn't miss Anglesey too much though as in only five days time I would be back again, this time for a full ten days holiday, and if the weather turns out to be as good as the last few days then I'll be a very happy bunny - or would that be Womble?




8 comments:

  1. Great find Ms Womble :) Have a great ten day holiday, I expect you are on your way there as I write this comment. The weather is beautiful right now and WILL remain perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! the sight of those caravans brought back some wonderful memories of years gone by. So pleased you enjoyed yourselves and thanks for the pictures.......wonderful.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would have 'Wombled' those mat sections as well ! :) Give them a good wash at home and they'll be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ex partner would have made a great Womble - he couldn't pass a skip without rummaging through and wombling something out of it :) It seems strange that the mat sections were dumped by the rubbish bins though as they were obviously new and had only been used the once - I think I was just in the right place at the right time that morning.

      Delete
  4. Hey Eunice,

    Indeed, such fabulous, sunny weather we've been having. It's now Sunday evening and oh my, it's quite hot!

    Now then and thanks, I've now got, "The Wombles of Wimbledon", "The Wombling Song", whirling around in my head! :) Wow, so you've turned into a Womble. Well done and happy recycling.

    Nothing like a walk with dogs in such a pleasant setting.

    Take care, Eunice.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join the club Gary, I was mentally singing Wombling Merry Christmas for several hours after writing this post :)

      I watched a quiz programme on tv a few days ago - I can't remember which one now - but the answer to one of the questions was something to do with the Wombles.

      The camp site I stay on is quite extensive with several fields, so going all the way round it makes a pleasant walk, either before bed or before a long drive, and Sophie and Poppie always enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. I love finding stuff for free that will be useful - one day ! Yesterday I found left in a hedge, at the back of a car park, a long length of nylon rope and a couple of metal stakes which, doubtless, had been used to fence something off. Nobody wanted it so into the back of my van it goes and helps to tidy up the countryside.
    Remember you're a Womble !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing more than fun than being like a Wombie. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.