About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Friday March 25th 2016 - Easter at Felin Uchaf

A sunny morning at 8.30am saw me leaving home for my first break of the year at Felin Uchaf, the peaceful little camp site where I stayed at Easter last year. Traffic on the roads was surprisingly light for the first day of the bank holiday weekend and the drive down to North Wales was very pleasant in the sunshine. 

I reached Llangollen just before 10am, and as I'd left home without even so much as a cup of tea I parked in the town centre car park and went in search of some breakfast; the Courtyard Cafe provided me with a toasted teacake and a mug of good coffee then after a quick look round the shops I grabbed the camera from the van and took the dogs for a walk along the riverside. Even with no leaves on the trees it looked just as nice as it was when I last walked along there two years ago and I got some lovely photos.

Back at the van I gave the dogs a drink then set off on the last eleven miles of the journey, arriving at Felin Uchaf a few minutes after noon. With only a couple of caravans on the site I had a choice of pitches so opted for the one next to the end, and leaving the dogs in the van I set about building my home. There was a bit of a breeze blowing but it wasn't enough to interfere with putting up the tent so it wasn't too long before everything was set out out inside and the kettle was on for a brew.

Since my stay at Felin Uchaf last year I'd found out that there was a lake not too far from the site and while paying my pitch fees I'd asked Nan, the site owner, how to get to it. It was only about a quarter of a mile away and just a straight walk up the lane behind the site so after my second coffee of the day I clipped the leads on the dogs and set off to explore. It was a fairly steep uphill climb but eventually I came to a track on the right and I could see one end of the lake; it wasn't a very big lake so it only took a few more minutes to reach the far end. 

A small river came down through the trees and ran under a stone bridge into the lake; dotted here and there were clumps of daffodils and in the lake itself was a flat stony area where it would be nice for the dogs to play in warmer weather. Unfortunately the sun was in the wrong direction and being surrounded by trees much of the area was in shade, but I did manage to get one good photo of the lake and made a mental note to return another day but at a much earlier time.

Back at the site I found that in my absence a few more campers had arrived and I now had neighbours - a caravan on the next pitch and a tent and two campervans on the pitches across. The couple in the caravan had two lovely greyhounds and I spent several minutes chatting before retreating into the tent for the rest of the day. With no tv signal on the site I whiled away the time listening to music and solving a few crosswords, then at 9pm I took the dogs for a torchlit walk down to the site entrance and back. It was a much earlier than usual bedtime walk but having been up since 5.30am - I'd actually done two hours at work before leaving home that morning - I was more than ready for my bed, and when I finally got snuggled in there it wasn't long before sleep overtook me.


  1. It looks beautiful there, I'm sure you had a great time. Any photos of your two dogs please? I love dogs and north Wales in that order :)

    1. Llangollen is a nice little town very popular with tourists, and the riverside walk is lovely on a nice day.

      I didn't get any photos of the dogs this time but there are some of Sam (the one I lost at New Year) on my post from Sept. 20th last year, and some of all three of them on July 6th's post.

  2. Pleased you were able to get out and about Tigermouse, the views are awesome. Have a good day.

  3. That was the only really good day, the weather went downhill rapidly after that. I still managed to get out and about and I still got some reasonable, if rather grey, photos - I intend to go back to that area again soon though and hopefully the weather will be better when I do.

  4. Looks like lovely places to spend a lovely day. (I read the comment above. Sorry to hear it didn't last for your entire trip.) I look forward to visiting England again one day in the future and sticking with the countryside instead of London area. So many beautiful villages and fabulous scenery.

  5. It's just a shame that we don't always get the beautiful weather to go with the beautiful villages and fabulous scenery! Weather-wise the weekend was a complete contrast to all the sunshine I had at Easter last year, though stupidly today it's absolutely glorious and more like summer. This country is crazy lol

  6. Looks lovely! Easter was pretty mixed here too. Friday was ok, Monday was lovely but Saturday and Sunday just poured.
    The Glasgow Gallivanter

  7. Well after the incredibly long and very wet winter we've had round here it had been nice, dry, and very spring-like, for about three weeks - it's just a shame it didn't last!


I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.