About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Tuesday January 12th 2016 - A difficult and emotional day

Today I had to do something I really didn't want to do - I took my good friend Lin and her teenage daughter Dee to the vet's to have their dog Homer put to sleep. I knew this day would come eventually but I didn't know just how upset I would be when it did, and the tears are falling as I write this. 

Homer arrived almost two years ago. At twelve years old he was one of the older residents at the animal sanctuary I support and Dee fell in love with him while on a visit there; Lin's application to adopt him was approved and he came home a few days later. Although he was registered to Lin he quickly became Dee's dog and would follow her everywhere - their bond was unbreakable.

Now I don't normally get emotionally attached to other peoples' animals, but even though Homer was healthy when he came from the sanctuary his age has meant that in the last fourteen months liver, spleen and pancreas problems have resulted in many trips to the vet, and as I've provided the transport for these journeys I've gradually become more and more fond of him. His various conditions have been managed quite well with medication but a vet's appointment in December showed that nothing more could be done for him, his organs were failing and it was time to think about letting him go. The gradual deterioration in his health became more noticeable just after New Year and though I was hoping and praying that he would just quietly leave us in his sleep his heart was still strong and he bravely soldiered on, so the final appointment at the vet's was made for today.

This morning I decked out the inside of the van with lots of flowers and a big comfy bed for Homer and he lay quietly as I drove to the vet's for the last time. The last thing he ate was a bacon flavour chew stick taken from my hand while in the waiting room, though I have to admit that when it came to the last few minutes of his life I was a total coward and went to sit in the van. Although I knew things were for the best and the decision wasn't mine to make my inner emotions were screaming "Please don't end his life!" and I didn't want anyone in the vet's to see me crying. Lin and Dee stayed with him and cradled him while he went to sleep for the final time then he was wrapped in his blanket, laid on his bed in the van and we took him to the pet crematorium. Dee chose an individual cremation and a photo memory box for his ashes and we were able to spend some time with him in the chapel of rest before we said our last goodbyes.

Needless to say, both Lin and Dee are understandably very upset, and even though Homer wasn't my dog I feel so sad that he's gone. It's only just two weeks since I lost my own lovely Sam and my emotions are still very raw so Homer's passing is hitting me harder than it would otherwise do. I'm glad about one thing though - Homer didn't end his days in the animal sanctuary. It may not have been for very long but at least he had a proper home where he was very much wanted and loved.




RIP Homer - always loved and always remembered  xx


21 comments:

  1. So sorry you've had to deal with this twice in such quick succession. Also very sorry for the young woman who maybe hasn't had to face this before (and her mum).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anabel.

    Although Lin faced this experience many years ago Dee hasn't. When she wasn't at work she and Homer were always together and although she's putting on a very brave face it's hit her hard.

    I'm lucky that of all the pets I've had I've only ever had to go through this particular experience once, and I'm so glad I didn't have to make that decision for Sam, but then I suppose that's part of the price we all have to pay for loving our pets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs, Eunice. Homer looks loved and at peace in his photo. I'm glad he got to be with love and warmth at the end of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Su-sieee.

    Homer was a very quiet and patient dog, just the sort of dog it's very easy to love. He was only in the sanctuary because his previous owner had passed away so it's good that he had a new and loving home in his final years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Eunice. How sad for all of you. Especially you, with what you've been through recently.
    While you are sad, Homer is not. He was well loved all the way through to the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Christine, Homer really was very much loved right to the end.

    I'm still feeling weepy, which won't be helped by going back to the crematorium later today to collect his ashes and memory box, but hopefully work should keep my mind occupied over the next few days until I feel less emotionally raw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Eunice,

    This is so sad. Lin, Dee and your kind self, showing such love for a beloved dog such as Homer. I know how tough it's been for you lately, with the loss of your lovely dog, Sam. I feel the sadness, the love and yes, the knowing that Homer will always be loved, never forgotten. Our beloved animals friends teach us so many lessons.

    Bless you and your friends during such emotional, reflective times.

    Hugs and kind wishes,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Gary for your kind and understanding words. Losing a much-loved pet is never easy so to lose two in quick succession (even though Homer wasn't mine)has been very sad. It's strange how they worm their way into our hearts without us realising it isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely piece TM. It is wonderful to have animals in your life but it tears you apart when they go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you AT.

    It really was a very sad day, and for me the sadness was heightened by having lost my own lovely Sam just two weeks before. I still have Sophie and Poppie though so fingers crossed it'll be a long while before anything happens to either of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Losing pets is absolutely ghastly. I'm so glad he had the best two years ever in his forever home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've lost several pets of my own over the years and it doesn't get any easier when they go. It tears me apart every time, though I really didn't think losing Homer would affect me so much with him not being my dog.

    I'm happy to say though that Lin and Dee have now got a new little dog called Oscar, completely different to Homer in every way, and he's helping to fill the space and heal the hearts that Homer left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, so sorry. {{{hugs}}} I hope the sharpness of the pain dulls quickly, and you're able to remember Homer with more smiles than tears.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Kelley. Euthanasia, for whatever reason, really sucks, and even knowing that this was the best thing for Homer didn't make it any less emotional. Hearts are healing slowly though with the help of new little dog Oscar but Homer will never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Homer is at peace in the one place he loved my room with me one day I will save for a ring with his ashes and then he will always be with me no matter where I am he is on display in a lovely casket and pictures and little ornaments Oscar is lovely he's nothing like homer but I couldn't live without Oscar now I miss homer every single day wish I could cuddle him again h s always in my heart and is never ever forgot

    ReplyDelete
  16. Homer's photos are on my pc and hard drive and will never be deleted - he will always be loved and remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So very sad to read of Homer's passing. It's a hard thing to do but you have to regard it as the last kindness you can do for your beloved pets to free them from their pain.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a hard decision to make whatever the circumstances - I would have found it very difficult if Homer had been my own dog and I dread the day when I may have to do the same for either of my two, though hopefully not for many years yet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Eunice, not sure how I found your lovely blog - you know how it is, click here and click there and then whoosh down the rabbit hole:-}

    You're obviously a very, very good friend to Lin, and she and Dee are clearly wonderful people for taking on the sort of old dog who is so often overlooked in a rescue centre. Must haave been horrndously raw for you as I read you've only recently lost one of your own four-paws.

    I've only had to put one dog to sleep, and thankfully our vet makes home visits so it happened without any stress for our beloved old boy. Still makes me cry remembering it but I know this was the very best thing for him.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for your lovely comment Jayne. Maybe you found me from my posts on UKCS? I love getting new readers and I hope you'll enjoy looking through my blog pages and following my camping travels.

    Losing a much-loved pet for whatever reason is always dreadfully sad and I can still cry when I remember the special ones in my life. Sam was one of those, he'd only been with me for six months when I lost him at New Year, though we had a previous six years of history between us. Thankfully Sophie and Poppie are both happy and healthy little dogs so all being well they should be around for many years yet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry Jayne, your last comment came through by email but somehow seems to have got lost in the ether between my inbox and here.

    I'd actually sussed that you were The Head Gardener when I saw your recent post on the 'Am I Being Selfish' thread. Me ex partner was a landscape gardener, though my idea of gardening is 'plant it, leave it, and if it survives that's ok'. I just about manage to strim the grass and trim the hedge, other than that - forget it!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.