About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Wednesday June 3rd 2015 - Red Wharf Bay, Pentraeth & Llanddona


The morning arrived with blue sky, sunshine and a stiff breeze, though it was nowhere near as windy as the previous day. After the first dog walk and breakfast I made a start on sorting out the inside of the tent and within an hour everything was set out where it should be. I did briefly consider sleeping in the van for the rest of the holiday but although that may be okay for just a couple of nights it would create too many problems in the long term so I decided against it and the bed was made up in the tent. A relaxing morning followed then at lunch time I put the dogs in the van and set out to do a bit of photography while the tide was in, though I didn't intend to go too far to do it.

My first stop was at Red Wharf Bay, less than three miles from the camp site; it had been four years since I was last there so it was time I made a return visit. Nothing had changed in that time, the little village looked just the same as before, and with the tide well in I got several good shots as I wandered about.


My next stop was at Pentraeth, a bit further round the same bay, where I got a couple of nice shots of the creek where it flowed out to the beach. Because of the shape of the bay itself the tide wasn't as far in there as at Red Wharf but in a way it was to my advantage - I was able to take the dogs for a good walk along the sand, and with it being a dog-friendly beach I could also let Sophie off the lead for a good scamper round before I returned to the van.



My third and final stop was a return visit to Llanddona beach, a few miles further round the bay and where I'd been to only a month before. That day had been very dull and grey though and I wasn't particularly impressed with the place, so it would be interesting to see if it looked any nicer on a sunny day. I still didn't fancy the idea of driving down the very steep hill to get to it though so this time, instead of parking by the phone mast on top of the hill I parked in the village and walked down from there by a different route. And I have to admit that although there was still nothing there the place did indeed look much better in the sunshine.



My route back up to the village was via a third single track lane which was even steeper than the other two and it was quite an effort to walk all the way up in the very warm sunshine. I must have been about halfway up when I met a Land Rover coming down, towing a pony trailer behind it; the lane wasn't much wider than the vehicle, and with very few passing places I was glad I was walking up and not driving.

Back at the van I gave the dogs a much needed drink, then deciding against going anywhere else I set off back to the camp site. With the van parked back beside the tent I spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing in the sun and the evening watching tv, then just as it started to get dark I took the dogs for their last walk of the day. Apart from the warden and her brother-in-law in their respective static caravans near the entrance there was still no-one else on the site, and when I settled down in bed a while later it was to nothing more than the hoot of an owl coming from a nearby tree.


6 comments:

  1. Everywhere looks better in sunshine, doesn't it?! What a sky, and very pretty beaches.
    Anabel's Travel Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many lovely beaches around Anglesey and lots of pretty coastal villages like Red Wharf - Moelfre and Cemaes are two which I've photographed several times. There were some lovely cloud formations too on the days I was away, which made for some really nice skies for my photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eunice,

    Another visual delight, my friend. Oh how I love those beaches of dreams. Wales is such a magical place. Thank you for this and keep embracing the wonders of the great outdoors.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Gary, glad you like the photos. I agree, Wales is a lovely place, and I particularly like how many parts of it are completely unspoilt. Lots more photos to come yet so do pop over again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you say the tide was IN when you took those photos? Surely the water gets higher, seeing as how the boats were all stranded. I love how it looks. I've never been anyplace that has boats just up on the land willy nilly. I'm sure there are places in the US, I've just never seen them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the tide was in, although it was just on the way out; the shape of the bay dictates how far up it comes at any given point. In the first pic you can see how close to the promenade it is; the wet sand in the third pic shows where it came up to. Some of the 'stranded' boats are actually beached permanently above the high water mark.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.