About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Friday April 3rd 2015 - Off to pastures new - Felin Uchaf

A very grey and rainy morning at 10am saw me leaving home for my Easter break in North Wales at a camp site I'd never been to before. I'd originally wanted to go to Station Camp Site at Carrog where I stayed last Easter but there were no hook-up pitches available when I phoned to book; I wanted to stay in roughly the same area though, and an internet search had come up with this one - Felin Uchaf. Although it seemed to be almost in the middle of nowhere it was only about four miles from Carrog and just two miles from the village of Corwen with it's shops and cafes; the lovely lady I spoke to on the phone said there was a hook-up pitch available so that would do for me.

As my pitch wouldn't be available until noon there was no point setting out too early, hence the later-than-usual start.  With not much traffic on the roads the driving was easy, though the grey skies and rain continued for most of my journey - and so did Poppie's voice. Apart from the day I brought her home last October this was her first long trip in my van and she certainly let me know; whinge, whinge, whinge, squeak, squeak, whinge - it carried on for well over an hour before she finally settled down. Approaching Llangollen, and about twelve miles from my final destination, the rain stopped and faint bits of blue sky started appearing between the clouds so I kept my fingers crossed that this was the sign of a good weekend to come.

At the far side of Corwen I took a left turn off the A5 and another two miles brought me to the tiny village of Cynwyd; a second left turn by the local shop took me along a single track road heading up into the Berwyn mountains and about a quarter of a mile further on I came to the farm track leading to the site - it had taken exactly two hours to get there. Through a gate at the far end of the site was a small wooden cabin which acted as reception, and booking in with the very friendly site owner, Gwyn, I was given pitch no. 1 nearest the gate. Once I'd decided which way round I was going to put the tent I got started on building and sorting out my home for the next few days, then with that done I was able to take stock of my surroundings.

The site itself had decent-sized pitches on either side of the access track leading from the entrance, and across the far side was a steep bank leading up to the single track road; down below the site on the other side was a small river and I'd been told that there was a waterfall not far away - that was something I could seek out during the next few days. The whole place was surrounded by trees, and other than the voices of a few other campers I could hear nothing but birdsong and the sound of the river - I was going to like this little place. 

The rest of the day was spent chatting to my camping neighbours and relaxing with a book, then as the evening light started to fade I took Sophie and Poppie for a walk through the site and along the track to the entrance and back; it was much earlier than I would usually walk them but with no lights on the site I wanted to be back in the tent before it went completely dark. With no tv to watch - there was no signal without having a satellite dish - I spent some more time with my book then retreated to my bed for an early night, with fingers crossed for some good photography weather the following day.


  1. So many questions, but I will save them. There is a good chance you'll answer them in the next installment. :)

  2. Maybe - that all depends on the questions :) You have me intrigued now though so do ask :)

  3. Oooh a new puppy! I have neglected you for a little while! (making a brew to catch up!!!)

  4. Welcome back :)

    Poppie isn't exactly a puppy, she's actually six years old, although she's a JRT so only small. Sadly little Sugar died just before Christmas so Poppie is now Sophie's companion. The Easter weekend was her first camp and she behaved beautifully - apart from the whingeing in the van!


I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.