About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Tuesday May 7th 2013 - Too nice to go home

I woke to another glorious morning and after the first dog walk of the day I made breakfast and for once I sat outside the tent with it. It looked like the weather forecast was right - the previous day had been quite warm but the wind had dropped overnight and it was going to be warmer still. It was far too nice to go home and as I wasn't in too much of a rush to go I decided to put off the inevitable packing up process until later on and have a final couple of hours out with the camera.

My destination this time was the little bay with the private cove which I'd discovered on my first solo weekend on Anglesey three years ago; I'd intended to go back there last year but hadn't got round to it, and as it wasn't too far from the site it was ideal for a 'final fling' before I went home. When I got there it looked very much the same as before but with one major difference - there was no-one there. My previous visit had been on a weekend and the little bay had been alive with sailing dinghies, jet skis, inflatables and people on the beach; now it was a weekday, the bank holiday had passed and the weekenders had gone home, and with no sign of anyone anywhere I had the place to myself.

The cottage garden on the corner looked just as pretty as it had done before and I took a couple of shots of that before going round to the private cove; my mission was to try to get to the far side of it, which I hadn't done previously, but unfortunately I could only get so far before the path ended in deep water backed by a steep bank of trees. So it seemed that my quest for photos from a different angle would remain impossible and I would have to be content with taking my shots just from one side; I took several before making my way down to the beach.

With no-one around I was able to let Sophie and Sugar off the lead and I spent quite some time looking for sticks and throwing them; Sugar went out into the water several times to retrieve hers but Sophie being Sophie just stayed on dry land. Eventually I called a halt to our little game and just sat for a while on the sand to give Sugar chance to dry out a bit before going back in the van; in the warm sunshine with nothing but the sound of the waves as they lapped the shore and the seagulls wheeling and swooping up above it was one of those times that I just wished could last for ever. Unfortunately though, reality meant that I had to go home and go back to work, so with one last photo I clipped the leads back on the dogs and returned to the van.

Back at the site I attached the dogs' leads to the tow ball of the van so they could lie on the grass in the shade without getting in my way, then very reluctantly I started on the packing up process. For some reason it seemed to take longer than usual - maybe because I didn't really want to go home - but eventually the tent was rolled back into its bag and stashed away, and after a quick check round the pitch for any stray tent pegs I put the dogs back in the van and set off. As I waited for the barrier to open to let me off the site for the last time the warden came out of her caravan and gave me another barrier pass to keep in the van; she told me that this one would last for twelve months, so whenever I go back there again it won't matter what time of day or night it is I'll be able to get onto the site, pitch the tent and pay her next time I pass reception. I certainly wasn't expecting that, and I was more than a little pleased - and it just shows that being a regular camper at the same site year after year can sometimes have its advantages!

With the windows down and a cd to sing along to the drive home in the afternoon sunshine was very pleasant and I arrived back with a bit of time to spare before I had to go to work. I'd had a lovely break, the weather had been brilliant and I'd got some good photos, but as I polished, mopped and vacuumed I was already thinking ahead to my next camping trip!


  1. Great pictures. Sounds like you had an ideal holiday.

  2. It had to be hard to pull yourself away from that trip. It looked glorious.

  3. It was a good trip, and weather-wise I couldn't have asked for better. That last morning, on my own in that little bay, was absolutely idyllic and really made me wish I could afford to give up work and camp all the time. Now if I could just find a nice millionaire....... lol

  4. That little cove looks delightful. Does it have a name ?

    I look forward to your next post. Is it Scotland next ?

  5. No it doesn't AT - well not to my knowledge anyway. Although the bay itself isn't actually private the only people who really go there are members of the nearby sailing club and their families, but the cove is private and is only used by the sailing club.

    Yes, my next trip is the Scotland one - less than a week away now - so there won't be any posts now until I get back from there on June 11th, then that's followed straight away by a 'nutters group' meet in north Wales.


I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.