About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Tuesday May 8th 2012 - Going home in the sunshine

In complete contrast to the previous day I woke that morning to blue sky and sunshine and the promise of a lovely day; it was just typical that our crazy British weather should decide that it would be nice on the day I was going home. My first job was to get rid of the pools of rainwater from the mudwalls and the top of the canopy connecting the awning to the van so everything would be dry by the time I had to pack up, then I took the dogs for a good walk round the site. A leisurely breakfast followed, then with my mug and plate washed and put away I started the packing up process - I think Sophie and Sugar must have known it was going home day as they stayed curled up in their bed and wouldn't come out, though when I got to the stage of taking the awning down I had to put them in the back of the van out of the way.

The awning was completely dry when I took it down, and even though there was quite a breeze blowing I had no trouble folding it up and getting it back into its bag, then with a check round the grass for any stray tent pegs I was ready for leaving. It was only 1pm and I had plenty of time so as is my personal 'tradition' I drove down to the promenade and took the dogs for a good walk on the beach before starting the homeward journey. With a cd to sing along to and the van window partly open it was a very pleasant drive in the sunshine, and as I'd set off a bit earlier than on previous occasions I was well ahead of the early evening rush hour by the time I reached Manchester, so there were no traffic tailbacks and no delays.

It was a few minutes after 4pm when I got home, with well over half an hour before I had to go to work, so I'd made good time and got back in just slightly over two hours. In spite of the previous day's rain I'd had a good weekend, and as I had nothing booked for the next bank holiday there was every likelihood that I would be going back to where I'd just come from - and sometimes I think I should just buy a house down there and live there permanently, it would save a whole load of to-ing and fro-ing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.