About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Sunday August 1st 2010 - First night in the new tent a success

After a good night's sleep I woke to a grey but fine morning and the sound of birdsong in the surrounding trees - the dogs were still quiet over the other side of the tent so I lay for a while just listening to the birds and the water flowing down the rockery. It had been a dry night and I didn't know whether to be glad or sorry - in a way I had wanted it to rain to test the tent, but I was glad it hadn't because as daft as it sounds I didn't want my new purchase to get wet so soon! It was very peaceful lying there and I would have liked to stay a while longer, but over in the house Buddy and Murphy would be waiting for their breakfast and to be let out into the garden so reluctantly I had to get up. I had achieved what I set out to do though - I had spent a night in my new tent, checked it over and I was very happy with it. 

Sophie and Sugar were awake as soon as I moved so I took them over to the house and after feeding all four dogs I left them to play round the garden while I had some breakfast. Once that was over I went back outside to take the tent down, which didn't take long, and I even managed to get it back into its bag - I often think that tents and awnings somehow magically increase in size while in use as they never seem to go back into the bag they came out of! While I was packing everything away the sky brightened up a bit and the sun decided to come out in fits and starts, so after I had put everything back into the van I had a walk round the garden with the camera - it's a lovely garden and well deserving of a few photos.


Then it was time to put Buddy and Murphy back in the house and Sophie and Sugar in the back of the van - as much as I loved staying there I had things to do at home but I would be back later on - and I would be sleeping in a bed that night and not in the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.