About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Friday June 4th 2010 - Homeward bound

I woke and breakfasted very early that day; the morning held the promise of more beautiful weather and I would have loved to have another day of exploration but unfortunately I had to return home. I had to leave at a reasonable time as I had to be home in time for work at 5pm, so I started packing things away at 7am, and by 9 o'clock the awning was down and everything stored away in the van. Once I had checked to make sure I hadn't left any tent pegs or anything else lying on the grass I called in at the on-site club for a quick coffee, then took the dogs for their last walk down on the beach.

I think they must have realised that their holiday was over when I put them in the back of the van, as they certainly didn't look very happy. And I had to admit that the prospect of returning home and going back to work didn't exactly fill me with joy either! After another quick check round the pitch I started the van and drove slowly out of the site - I stopped off to get fuel from the petrol station a mile or so down the lane then hit the road proper at 10.30. The journey back was uneventful, and in spite of a short delay at Sutton Bridge while a boat went through I made good time - I only stopped twice and was back home within six hours, arriving at 4.30pm with a few minutes to spare before work.

Well this trip was my first really long drive and solo camp of almost a week, and in spite of my initial apprehension I had enjoyed every minute of it. I went to places I had been to before and discovered places I had never been to, and taken lots of great photos in the process. And I enjoyed it so much that I promised myself - and the dogs! - that I would do it all again later in the summer.


  1. Hi Eunice,
    I have really enjoyed your week in Norfolk!
    Before our move to the West Country, we lived in North Essex and with my late husband, I used to caravan in Norfolk and Suffolk. I haven't been up there for about 12 years or so, reading your descriptions and viewing your lovely photo's makes me want to visit again!

    Best wishes Linda (Redestate on UKCS)

    1. Hi Linda, thanks for stopping by and commenting, glad you like the photos.

      I love Norfolk in general and California in particular. I've been staying down there since 1982 - originally in a chalet - and whenever I turn into the lane leading up to the camp site I always feel like I'm coming home.


I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.