About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Monday June 17th 2019 Part 2 - Wordsworth House and garden

Wordsworth House, an attractive Georgian building built in 1745 and situated on the main road running through Cockermouth, is the birthplace of William Wordsworth, his sister Dorothy and their three brothers. William was born in 1770 and Dorothy in 1771 followed by two younger brothers - an older brother Richard had previously been born there in 1768. Their mother died when William was only eight years old and he subsequently spent most of his following childhood years with relatives in Penrith; his father died in Wordsworth House in 1783 and by 1784 all the children had finally left the house to be cared for by relatives.

The house remained as a private dwelling owned by several different families throughout the years into the 1930s, then in 1937, after a failed attempt by Cockermouth library to raise enough money to buy it, the local bus company bought it with the intention of demolishing it to build a bus station. After much national press and radio attention enough money was donated for the town to buy the house back and it was handed over to the National Trust in 1938, opening as a Wordsworth memorial in 1939 and also becoming a Grade I listed building. Fast forward to the present day and the house is now furnished and presented as it would have been at the time the Wordsworth family lived there in the 1700s.



Although it was interesting seeing all the different rooms I found many of them, especially some of the bedrooms, were small and quite dark. In the whole of the house the only genuine item belonging to the Wordsworth family was William's father's desk, everything else was period or replica, and because William himself had only lived there until he was eight and had never actually written anything there I felt that the house could have belonged to anyone. However, it was the garden which interested me more and by the time I'd looked round the house and gone outside the sun was shining again and I managed to get some really nice photos.


As I walked back to the van I pondered on my visit to the Wordsworth House. With a small 'library' of modern books in one of the basement rooms and a modern exhibition room upstairs it seemed to be a bit of a mish-mash of styles, and unless I'd missed something there was very little mention of any of William's actual writing in later life. It had only taken me 45 minutes to go round the whole house and garden so I was glad I'm an NT member as personally I don't think the place is worth the £8.30 entrance fee. Would I go there again? Maybe, but only for the garden.


8 comments:

  1. Even though it felt disappointing to you thank goodness the bus company's bid to buy and demolish it failed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite true Eileen. Regardless of who lived there in the past it's a very attractive old house with a lovely garden overlooking the river, definitely one worth saving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful garden! Fairly sure I have been here, but way back in the early 80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's more to the garden than one would think. It looks long and narrow but down at the bottom it turns a corner and widens out, also there are steps up to a grassy terrace overlooking the river. It's a lovely garden and the flowers are beautiful.

      Delete
  4. The garden is lovely, yet I'm always fascinated by the kitchens in these old houses. Thank goodness it was saved from demolition. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. The garden was destroyed in the devastating flood of 2OO9 - the water level was nearly 4ft deep in the basement of the house - but it's so lovely now that no-one would know that it had been so badly wrecked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to see your photos of house and garden, and despite most pieces in the home not belonging to the Wordsworth family it looks a fascinating reperestation of the period. Like other commenters I am glad it was saved from demolition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Places like this are our country's historical heritage - too many these days are left to deteriorate or worse still are demolished so its good that this house, and other places like it, are saved and listed. I would go to this one again but more for the garden as it really is very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.