About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Eunice and I live in Bolton, Lancashire, with my two dogs Sophie and Sugar and an assortment of cats - well it used to be Sophie and Sugar, now it's Sophie and Poppie. I first began camping back in 1997 when my then partner took me to Anglesey for my birthday weekend. We slept in the back of the car - a hatchback - using the cushions off the settee at home as a mattress, and cooked and brewed up on a single burner camping stove. The site was good, the views were great, the weather fantastic and I was completely hooked. Following that weekend we got a two-man tent and some proper accessories and returned to Anglesey two weeks later, then over time we progressed to a three-man tent followed by an old trailer tent, then a new trailer tent, a campervan and finally a caravan. When my partner decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the street - literally - in April 2009 and I suddenly found myself alone after fifteen years, I decided there was no way I was going to give up camping and caravanning if I could cope on my own. This blog is the story of my travels, trials and tribulations since becoming a solo camper - I hope you like it

Tuesday September 19th 2017 - Going home day

After yet more overnight rain the morning arrived gloriously clear and sunny so I abandoned the first dog walk in favour of getting everything packed away and the tent taken down while it was nice. After a very quick breakfast packing up the van was no problem but sorting out the tent was a different matter. With the groundsheet not being integrated I dragged it out from under the tent and pegged it out on the grass to dry then set about mopping up the water from the bedroom. What had started off as a puddle had increased over the previous few days to something the size of a small paddling pool and by the time I'd finished mopping I had several inches of water in the bucket. Fortunately the tent itself dried out in the sunshine so it was perfectly dry by the time I was ready for taking it down. With only the coolbox left to disconnect I took Sophie and Poppie for a final walk through the heath and back along the beach, then with the hook-up cable rolled up and stashed in the van I drove away from my pitch for the last time this year. 


I wasn't on the road for long before I made my first stop; Jean and John had told me that the Norwich Camping store was only just off the A47 on the outskirts of Norwich and as I was going that way anyway I decided to see if they had any tents which would meet my requirements. They had quite a lot of tents on display, some of them at a good price, but they were mainly big ones so not what I wanted. Back on the road again things were just going nicely when I hit a long queue of very slow moving traffic and after creeping along for quite a distance I was passed by police car with its lights flashing. 

The reason for the delay eventually became obvious - there was a broken down agricultural vehicle, and the police car, blocking the inside lane meaning two lanes were going into one. Once I was free of that though everything was fine - that was until I hit another queue near to Kings Lynn, although there didn't seem to be any reason for that one. After that the driving was easy and very pleasant in the afternoon sunshine though I did make an impromptu stop later on. Where the A17 passed over the River Welland there was a boatyard and moorings close by; I've often thought about finding somewhere to stop and take a few photos though I never have, but this time I did. There was a wide lay-by up ahead, set back off the road, so I pulled in there and walked back across the bridge. This was Fosdyke Yacht Haven, and with quite a lot of boats moored up it looked quite attractive so I got a handful of good shots before returning to the van.


My next stop was at the Cheerio Cafe but as they were on the point of closing I was only able to get a takeaway coffee - and this time I didn't upset it all over the van. After a quick dog walk along the edge of the field I set off once more and didn't stop again until I got home. Unfortunately by the time I was heading west the sun was getting low and in my eyes and I ended up missing the correct exit off a roundabout, meaning I was heading for somewhere I didn't want to be. I had to go for quite a distance before I found somewhere I could safely pull in and turn round to go back but I got things right eventually and with no more hiccups I arrived home at 7.45pm.

Now I don't know whether to call my time away a holiday, a disaster, or a living nightmare but whatever it was I hope that weather-wise I never have another one like it. In all my years of camping I've never experienced as much rain as that which fell during the time I was away, though I have no doubt that Storm Aileen was a big contributory factor. Whatever the cause, I hope that next time I'm camping the rain gives me a miss!


** That holiday may very well be my last camping trip of the season until next year, unless I manage to find a new tent with a fully integrated groundsheet, but until I update this blog with another trip tales from my everyday life can always be found here



12 comments:

  1. It certainly was a memorable holiday but for all the wrong reasons. I do wish you luck in your quest for a new tent, you're definitely due some good luck after all that rain and misfortune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely wasn't the best of holidays but I've just chalked it up as a one-off as I've never had bad weather like that before. Norfolk is supposed to be the driest county in this country but it certainly wasn't this time! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it was not a good holiday, particularly when you have always enjoyed such lovely breaks at that site.

    Hope you can soon find the new tent you need. We bought our winter awning from Norwich Camping, but online - a little too far too visit! Were extremely pleased with their prices and service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was just one holiday out of many down there Jayne, I've never had such bad weather before so I'm looking at it now as an unfortunate one-off. There's always next year, which I'm sure will be much better.

    A couple of months ago I put a post on UKCS asking for tent recommendations and someone suggested a Kampa Burnham 4 being sold by Norwich Camping. It seemed to be the closest in spec to what I want but by the time I'd looked round online to see if I could get it cheaper elsewhere then gone back on the Norwich Camping website it had gone. They must have only had that one as there weren't any others in the shop when I visited. There's one currently on ebay, advertised as new but it's been put up once to be checked (so isn't really new) and I've asked for opinions on UKCS which seem to be mixed. I've not found anything anywhere else which comes as close to what I want so I'm undecided whether or not to make a cheeky offer on it. It's this one -
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2015-Kampa-Burnham-4-Tent-Groundsheet/122722747717?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEB
    if you want to check it out and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had a look at that tent - I take it you didn't buy it. If you do buy it, you are protected with Paypal and Ebay so it's a low risk buy. If it fulfills your camping requirements then you might not find something again. I stopped using UKCS a long time ago (got a bit bored with the same old questions and the same answers and then the over moderation and editing of posts by Admin) but if you ask a dozen different people you'll get a dozen different answers and you have to go with your gut.

      Delete
    2. I haven't bought it yet, I'm still watching it - and so far it looks like I'm the only person interested. I think the seller has been a bit cheeky though, it was originally listed at £130 with free postage, then last week I got an email from ebay to say it had been reduced by £10 but when I checked he'd added on £20 for postage so it's now £10 dearer than it was before! The listing is on until the 24th of this month so I'm just waiting to see if it might be reduced again, if not then I might make an offer but I'm not sure on what amount as I don't want to seem mean. What do you think? It's the closest in spec to my previous one and I haven't found anything else suitable so far.

      Delete
    3. They've probably realised they could get caught out with postage. How about an offer £100 plus the postage at £20 which brings it inline with your original expectation or could you collect in person? They can only say no. I'd be tempted to go in with £90. It's not mean, it's only worth what they can sell it for. I remember putting a tent on ebay (accidentally) without a reserve hoping to get £80 and got £16 which I had to honour.

      Delete
    4. There's no way I could collect it as it's right down south and I'm north of Manchester. £90 plus the postage sounds fair but I'll wait a bit yet and see what happens.

      Delete
    5. Looking forward to an update then!

      Delete
  5. I've just checked and the tent has another watcher. I'm not sure what to do now - keep waiting and hope the other person doesn't buy it first, or make an offer of £90 in the hope it'll be accepted, and risk him turning it down in case he can get his asking price from someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only just discovered your blog and being another solo camper with a tent, I got quite excited!!! I have read quite a few of your earliest posts from when you were also camping in a tent, but I see you have now progressed to a campervan (my dream which ain't gonna happen now!)
    I also went camping during Storm Aileen (though I hadn't heard the storm warnings before I set off) - with a brand new tent and a rescue dog who had never experienced the 'joys' of camping before. I had serious doubts about both the tent and the dog, half expecting to end up back home very quickly.
    The site was set back on a north-facing clifftop with very little shelter but I managed to put the tent up eventually during a slightly calmer interlude, but OMG!! the winds at night were horrendous, with the tent banging and flapping and my fears were that the whole thing would take off. The dog slept through it all, in his bed by my side. I lasted 3 nights with some beautiful sunny days and lovely walks, but once the tent was dry on the 4th day, I packed up for home.
    Looking forward to comparing trips when the weather improves.
    My blog is 'Rosie's Ramblings' at liskerret.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for discovering my blog and posting a comment, I hope you like what you've read so far.

    To say I've progressed to a campervan isn't strictly true. I mostly tent camp and the van is just a people carrier which is my normal every day transport. It can be adapted for camping though in that the centre seat(s) can be turned into either a double bed which takes up the whole width of the van or a single with a bit of living space - if I'm only away for one or two nights that's how I camp but I still put the tent up to use as somewhere to wash and dress in private as it's too cramped to do that in the van. Any more than two nights and I always tent camp but this time was rather different.

    The tent I used for this holiday was really a stop-gap until I get a new one, as my much-loved previous one sustained some irreparable damage in July. This one was given to me by a friend a while ago (it had only ever been used for three nights) but it doesn't have a full sewn-in groundsheet which was one reason why I was camping in the van - with two little Jack Russells who are great escape artists a tent without a fully sewn-in groundsheet is an absolute no-no! And getting so much rain water in this one during this holiday convinced me that I will never again camp in a tent without a fully sewn in groundsheet!

    I've just had a brief look at your blog, I'll have a read through some more of it when I have more time. Well done for taking on a rescue dog, I think they have so much love to give and little Benji looks adorable - I hope he enjoys many more camping trips with you when the weather gets better :)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate good comments - who doesn't? - but due to a recent tide of spam from anonymous readers all comments will now be moderated, and only those with a direct bearing on this blog will be published. I'm sure my regular blog readers/commenters will understand the need for this - and to anyone whose comment isn't published, you know why.